EDC&I 474 MULTI-ETHNIC STDYS
13835 A 3 T 200-420 MLR 112 BANKS,JAMES A
Designed to help preservice and in-service teachers identify content and materials and devise methods for implementing ethnic studies programs and for incorporating ethnic content into regular K-12 social studies, language arts, and humanities curricula. Special attention is given to teaching about American Indians, Mexican Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, Puerto Rican Americans, and white ethnic groups.
RESTRICTED TO SENIOR STANDING OR ABOVE. COURSE MEETS EDTEP MIT PREREQUISITE
EDUC 210 CURRENT ISSUES EDUC
INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION
23061 A 5 MW 200-420 MLR 212 IVES,CHARLES
What is the purpose of education? Who or what is educated? How are students educated? Is there a metaphysics (i.e. position on the nature of reality) in play informing any of the above items? Is there an ethics (i.e. position on the nature of the good life) in play informing any of the above items? We will address these issues via the works of influential figures in the philosophy of education such as Plato, Rousseau, Dewey, and Freire. On a more general level, our goal in this course is to become novice philosophers.
EDUC 280 INTRO TO ECO
Introduction to Education, Communities, and Organizations: Re-envisioning Education
22952 A 2 T 330-450 JHN 075 GLASS HASTINGS,CASSADY
Introduction to the disciplinary fields of human development, learning theory, equity studies, and community engagement.
Outdoor Education Instructor
Location: Ashland, Ohio
Outdoor Education Instructors Needed!
Closing Date: 2/26/16
Nuhop is located next to the beautiful Mohican State Forest in Perrysville, Ohio. We are currently in need of qualified outdoor education instructors for the spring season. The season runs from March 21 to May 27.
Nuhop was originally started as a summer camp in 1974 for children with learning disabilities, as well as an outdoor education school for 6th graders. It has since evolved to include a spring and fall outdoor education program for 5th, 6th, and 7th grade classes from across Ohio. Nuhop provides a balance between experiential, outdoor and environmental education philosophies. We focus on academic and interpersonal skills in an outdoor classroom.
- Attend and participate in a week long in-service/training, attend additional trainings throughout the season
- Lead environmental and experiential morning, afternoon, and occasional evening classes (such as geology, survival, ecology, canoeing, night hike, etc)
- Facilitate challenge course and high ropes course activities for various groups
- Some overnight responsibilities
- Occasional day long workshop facilitation with school, college, and corporate groups
Disability Studies Meets Education…and Pizza!
When: Friday, Oct. 16 from 12-2:30 pm
Where: MGH 024 (the D Center)
- 12:00-1:00pm “A Gentle Hijacking: Disability Studies Meets Special Education”
Presenters Kayla Brown (SSW), Sara Goering (PHIL), Jacob Hackett (COE)
- 1:15-2:30pm Disability Studies Welcome Pizza Party
This is a great opportunity to meet the current students, faculty, and advisor, and to learn more about the Disability Studies Program.
- Party co-sponsored by DO-IT AccessSTEM (https://www.washington.edu/…/accessstem/accessstem-resources).
- Thanks also to the D Center for providing the space and support (https://www.facebook.com/UW.D.Center).
- For information please visit our website.
- For submission via our online form, please click here.
- For email submissions please refer to the following instructions: Call for papers / http://huichawaii.org/hssc_cfp.html
The 2015 Hawaii University International Conferences (HUIC) on STEM and Education welcomes and invites papers (in English only) from all areas of Education, Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and related fields. The conference will be held from June 13 – 15 Honolulu, Hawaii (Monday through Wednesday) at the Ala Moana Hotel, in Honolulu Hawaii.
The conference main objective is to provide a platform for researchers, engineers, and academicians as well as industrial professionals from all over the world to present their research results and development in their related fields.