Homework Help volunteers support students’ academic success by helping them develop literacy and mathematics skills, understand homework assignments, and prepare for college and careers. Volunteers mentor students in all academic subjects and may also specialize in college-prep subjects (e.g. English and STEM fields).
Most of the students are first-generation Americans who speak a language other than English at home. Volunteers will interact with students of all ages in small groups and individually. A volunteer commitment throughout the school year is requested. Those volunteers who have variable job and/or school schedules can be scheduled as substitute Homework Helpers at least twice a month.
Homework tutoring, reading support and math educational games will be offered at the following Library locations from Sept. 11, 2017 through June 14, 2018. Bilingual volunteers who speak Spanish are especially needed at the Beacon Hill and South Park branches.
- Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S.
- Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N.
- Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.
- Greenwood Branch, 8016 Greenwood Ave. N.
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way
- High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St.
- Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave. N.E.
- NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.
- Northgate Branch, 10548 Fifth Ave. N.E.
- Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S.
- South Park Branch, 8604 Eighth Ave. S.
Visit www.spl.org/homeworkvolunteer for more information. Volunteer applications are requested by July 31, 2017.
Please contact Anne Vedella (Anne.Vedella@spl.org), Volunteer Services Coordinator, if you have questions or would like to request an application packet.