Wilderness Education Specialist
Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS) is looking for an active, hands-on individual with an enthusiasm for protected public lands to join our team.
Position Title: Wilderness Education Specialist
Position Duration: May 16 – November 11, 2016
Compensation: $14 per hour
Position Supervisor: Program Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
About Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS)
We are a passionate team of employees, volunteers, and supporters, dedicated to a mission of educating, cultivating, and empowering an engaged public for the stewardship of protected public lands. We pride ourselves on being a transformative conservation non-profit, serving as a resource to our local partners and the federal land managing agencies we work with.
SAWS was founded in 2010 to respond to a regional need for stewardship focused on federally designated wilderness. We work with the national forests in the mountain regions of Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia to provide stewardship through our four program areas: field crews, wilderness rangers, volunteers, and education.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, a Wilderness Education Specialist’s work may include, but is not limited to:
· Work closely with U.S. Forest Service personnel
· Identify education challenges in the Southern Region
· Outline issues, target audiences and messaging for specific areas
· Identify priority education needs
· Revise and update existing Education Plans
· Develop new Education Plans where needed
· Outline education techniques and outreach practices
· Create templates and “best practices” for Education Plan development in the Southern Region