Organization: Columbia Slough Watershed Council
Address: Portland, OR
Website: Columbia Slough Employment Page
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Classroom Activities: Develop and present hands-on science activities to students.
- Field Studies: Plan, prepare and lead student field studies, service learning, and restoration activities at sites such as Whitaker Ponds Nature Park, Smith & Bybee Lakes, Big Four Corners, Johnson Lake and Kelley Point Park. Provide direction and supervision to students, teachers, education interns, and volunteers during field studies, service learning, and restoration activities.
- Watershed & Community Action Projects: Organize plantings, service projects, canoe trips, and watershed education events for students and watershed residents
- Summer Programming: Offer several one day programs and partner with summer camp providers where youth will have the opportunity to enjoy an outdoor field experience
- Professional Development for Teachers: Invite teachers participating in Slough School activities to professional development workshops and training sessions offered by the Council and others
- Adult Workshops: Work with the Outreach Director to coordinate workshops for community members, including arrangements for speakers, location, and topics
- Collaborate with the City of Portland, Bureau of Environmental Services and Water Bureau, City of Gresham watershed/stormwater education, Metro, MCDD, Portland Parks and Recreation, and other partners’ staff to provide educational programs and activities.
- Lead canoe and kayak tours of the Columbia Slough with adults and youth
- Research, develop and use science education materials and activities
- Develop written materials such as newsletter articles, reports, and education resources
- Represent Slough School and the Columbia Slough Watershed Council at public and Council events to promote watershed education
- Attend and participate in staff and council meetings and events.
- Collect and organize photos and records of Slough School and other education activities
- Maintain equipment, including maintenance of canoes and kayaks
- Responsible for program budget management, fundraising, grant writing, and grant reporting
- Responsible for organizing and working with the Slough School Advisory Committee.
- Create measurements for program evaluation to evaluate program effectiveness and meet grant requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.