Overview: IslandWood’s mission is to provide exceptional learning experiences and inspire lifelong environmental and community stewardship. Our innovative outdoor learning experiences include the School Overnight Program (SOP) for elementary-aged students in a multi-day residential school program on our 255-acre sustainably designed Bainbridge Campus. The residential experience makes understanding systems physically and mentally tangible for students. With each of our schools, SOP has 3 main goals:
• Provide a foundation of stewardship for our students through their experience at SOP.
• Create equitable access to & culturally responsive instruction for all students.
• Develop meaningful and sustainable relationships with schools.
The Staff Instructor is a seasonal, full-time member of the professional education team for IslandWood. During the 10-months of the SOP school year, the Staff Instructor will teach each week of the SOP in alignment with established curriculum while ensuring culturally responsive instruction to engage all learners. In addition, the Staff Instructor will support the School Partnerships Program by acting as liaisons with schools and providing in-classroom lessons. Responsibilities will include regular evening teaching and occasional weekend programs.
• Provide high quality, culturally responsive instruction in natural and cultural history, ecology, conservation, and stewardship to multi-cultural elementary-aged students from diverse backgrounds: language, racial/ethnic, socio-economic, geographic, ability groupings, etc.
• Provide program support beyond instruction in the SOP, including but not limited to assisting with school visits, evening programs, and support necessary to run residential school programs.
• Attend relevant Education Team meetings as schedule allows.
• Assist in the upkeep of a program areas such as the instructional prep or gear room.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Staff Instructors may spend one week every four to six weeks as host for the School Overnight Program (coordinate all aspects of school groups’ experiences after hours and through breakfast)
• Most Staff Instructors will act as liaisons to 3-6 partner schools, paying visits primarily on Fridays.