Science Communication Program Manager Position Announcement
Chesapeake Environmental Communications (CEC) is looking for a motivated and talented Science Communication Program Manager (SciComm Program Manager) to join our growing
team. CEC specializes in connecting science to decision-making processes. We create broadly
understandable science content, custom tools and visualizations, and strategic project
management and facilitation. Our work focuses on coastal and ocean resource management,
environmental education, and eco & heritage tourism in the mid-Atlantic region and beyond.
The SciComm Program Manager will assist principal staff in project development, management
and execution. He/she will synthesize, interpret, and communicate scientific information and
prepare reports on findings; work and communicate with a wide range of audiences; and manage multiple projects, including staffing, workloads, and finances under deadlines. The successful applicant must be a self-motivated, outgoing, and creative thinker, with the ability to
communicate effectively through content and graphic development.
This position offers the opportunity to delve into key issues related to the intersection between
society and marine/coastal resources, including climate change and sea level rise, water quality,
habitat restoration and protection, fisheries management, and more. The SciComm Program
Manager will work with regional experts and leaders to translate science to broad audiences and produce products that provide long-term benefits.
This is a full-time position located within our Richmond, Virginia office. CEC provides the
necessary hardware and software and a competitive benefits plan. Additionally, CEC provides
professional development and networking opportunities.
To be considered for this position, candidates must meet the following basic qualifications:
• Master’s degree in marine or environmental science, resource management, or science
communications preferred but others considered;
• 3-5 years experience working in coastal or marine science, management, or education;
• Experience developing proposals and technical reports;
• Project management and facilitation experience, including strategic meeting preparation
and support, team coordination, progress reports, and financial reporting;
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
• Experience and competency using graphic design and page layout programs (e.g., Adobe
• Social media strategy development and implementation;
Other knowledge and skills desired, but not required, include:
• Creative communication product development, specifically short videos, online tools,
• Web programming, specifically using and maintaining WordPress sites;
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS); and
• Statistical analysis
To apply, please submit a current resume and cover letter detailing your experience,
qualifications, and salary requirements, along with contact information for at least three
professional references to Dave Jasinski via email to Info (at) ChesapeakeData.com with the
subject line: SciComm Program Manager Position. Applications are requested by August 12,
2016, however, this position will remain open until filled.