Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park
Location: North Palm Beach, Florida
A Naturalist Internship will provide the opportunity to gain invaluable, professional development and real-world experiences at John D. MacArthur Beach State Park (MBSP).
MBSP, Palm Beach County’s only state park, is situated on a barrier island between the Atlantic Ocean and the Lake Worth Lagoon. The Park is made up of 438 acres of pristine coastal land and contains four different communities or habitats including seven species of plants and twenty-two species of animals on the endangered or threatened list. MacArthur Beach is truly an “Island in Time.”
The Naturalist Intern will gain experience in:
– Implementing Natural Science Education Programs to 1st -12th grade students
– Curriculum writing and development
– Public speaking and Leadership
– Volunteer engagement
– Animal care (educational exhibit fish, sea turtles, reptiles)
The Naturalist Intern will develop an extensive knowledge of:
– Local flora/fauna
– The ecosystems of MBSP
– Florida Park Service
State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and MBSP regulations, procedures and policies will be followed and enforced.
Summary of Essential Position Functions:
- Reports to the Director of Education (DOE) for all duties assigned
- Facilitates hands-on Natural Science Education Programs
- Assists with Park Junior Friends group
- Assists with Park Speaker Series
- Daily office work
- Assists in the development of publications, brochures, news releases and registration materials
- Other duties as needed
- Bachelors Degree in environmental education, biology, environmental studies, ecology or a related field required
- Desire to teach children and adults in an outdoor setting. Prior field experience is a plus
- Enthusiasm and dedication to learn and master curriculum
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must have proficient computer skills: Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, etc.
- Must be professional, well organized, and safety conscious
- Must be a team player and also able to take on leadership roles and responsibilities
- Must have ability to deal professionally, effectively and courteously with other employees, volunteers and the public
- Must be flexible in working hours and available for weekend and/or evening hours and special events
- Must be able to lift and carry objects and materials up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to safely navigate natural unimproved terrain and ensure the safety of program participants.
- Must know, respect and follow safety policies and procedures given by the DOE
- Must have the ability to communicate with students who have physical, mental, language, and behavioral issues; must be able to meet the learning needs of all students.
- Must be able to consistently work in an outdoor setting with extreme weather conditions including but not limited to: hot, sunny, humid, rainy, and/or cold days.
Naturalist Interns are not employees of the Florida Park Service nor the Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park, Inc. Naturalist Interns are volunteers for MBSP, Florida Park Service.
Naturalist Interns may elect to receive a stipend to help cover expenses incurred during their volunteer intern service. The stipend is a fixed amount of $225 per week for service of 35 – 40 hours per week or $113.00 per week for service of between 20 – 29 hours/ week.
Limited housing is available, at no fee, for interns providing full time hours. If selected for housing, an intern will share a housing facility with other interns.
- The statements contained in this position description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements or functions.
- Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to ensure public safety and enjoyment and as part of the MacArthur Beach State Park team.
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of three professional references to Cheryl Houghtelin, Executive Director, Friends of MacArthur Beach State Park. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.