Farm to School Coordinator: PreK and K-12
Deadline to Apply: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 12:00pm
Organization: Island Grown Schools
Address: Vineyard Haven, MA
Website: Island Grown Schools
Island Grown Schools, Martha’s Vineyard’s Farm to School program, is hiring two positions for the 2016-17 year: a K-12 coordinator and a preschool coordinator.
IGS coordinators are responsible for integrating farm-to-school programming at designated schools. Our mission is to empower a new generation of children to make healthy eating choices, learn to grow food and connect to local farms. IGS coordinators reach students by facilitating garden lessons, classroom lessons, farm field trips and by maintaining a presence in the school cafeterias/food services with a focus on our Harvest of the Month program. For more information, please visit www.islandgrownschools.org.
- Garden: Coordinate planting and maintenance of school garden throughout the year; create an accessible outdoor learning environment for multiple learning styles; engage school community in garden projects and encourage ownership of garden.
- Classroom: Implement age appropriate curriculum based on IGS units and learning goals; communicate with teachers to tie lessons into their curriculum; meet with teachers and IGS staff to continue to develop relevant curriculum connections.
- Cafeteria/Harvest of the Month: Coordinate with IGS Harvest of the Month chef to schedule monthly tastings; communicate with the food service directors regarding Harvest of the Month items featured in the school lunches; host Harvest of the Month raffles when possible; incorporate Harvest of the Month lessons into your curriculum, and Harvest of the Month crops into the garden; collect data on student tastings and local food procurement.
- Field Trips: Connect schools to local farms and farmers during relevant lessons/units; schedule field trips with schools and farmers; facilitate field trips when appropriate.
- Garden Clubs: Plan, do outreach for, and facilitate garden clubs at schools when possible, during one or all of the fall, winter and spring seasons.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in garden or farm-based education
- Ability to work professionally and responsibly in public school settings
- Classroom management skills
- Knowledge of age-appropriate content and capabilities
- Time management and scheduling skills
- Patience and strong listening skills
- Positive attitude
- Passion for creating a sustainable food system and commitment to the mission of IGS
- Love of working with children
- Experience with social media a plus
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter to Emily@islandgrown.org. Please specify in your email which position you are applying for.