Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary
Location: Tiburon, California
Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary, Tiburon, CA, is looking for energetic individuals with a passion for teaching young children about the wonders of nature and environmental science.
Summer Audubon Adventures consists of one week of staff training and ten weeklong sessions for children ages 4-9. Within the ten camp weeks are three weeks of Expedition Camp for grades 4-6 and two weeks of On the Fly camp for grades 4-6. Staff also mentor teens in our Audubon Youth Leaders program. Time commitment is 11 weeks: June 2 – August 15.
Lead Summer Teacher Naturalist responsibilities include:
- Preparing and implementing camp curriculum and coordinating camp projects
- Preparing materials for camp and clean up materials after use
- Supervising volunteers, Assistant Summer Teacher Naturalists, and Audubon Youth Leaders
- Leading camp activities in a safe and engaging manner
- Developing conservation and restoration activities for camp participants
- Keeping a log of curriculum and your Teacher Naturalist experience to share at weekly staff meetings
- Additional duties that contribute to the success of a non-profit
- Take out the trash and recycling from classrooms each week
- Participate in sanctuary management including trail work and beach cleanup, as appropriate
- Stock kitchen and bathroom supplies as used during camp
- Additional functions as directed by supervisor
Qualifications: (e.g., education, training, experience, licenses and skills)
- Skilled in creating a safe, warm and welcoming atmosphere to awaken children’s curiosity for and enjoyment of nature
- Able to interact well with children, teens and adults, especially parents
- Experience working with children
- Experience teaching children
- Ability to plan and conduct nature-themed lesson plans/activities for children
- Reliable, self-motivated, emotionally mature, creative and team player
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Interest in local natural history and the outdoor environment
- Committed to the entire summer
- Willing to work outdoors in any weather as necessary
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required
Physical Requirements: (e.g., lifting, reaching, climb, push/pull, etc.)
Willing and able to play outdoors for extended periods of time with children. Occasional heavy lifting/carrying.
Salary $13-$15/hr, depending on experience, 40 hours per week. All applications must include a cover letter and be submitted online at http://www.audubon.org/audubon-career-center. You may also send a resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.