New England Aquarium’s Harbor Discoveries Camp (www.neaq.org/camps) is an interactive marine and environmental science program that incorporates traditional camp activities. Instructors will lead one of two levels; Junior/Senior (grades 4 -7), or Advanced (grades 8-10).
Harbor Discoveries Camp Instructors lead a group of up to 32 participants through Aquarium galleries, behind-the-scenes tours, field trips, and other excursions to encourage a discovery and appreciation of the natural world.
Instructors will need to be available from June 13th, 2016 through August 26th, 2016. Scheduling requirements are as follows:
- Staff training: June 13 – July 1: M-F, 9am – 5pm (some flexibility may exist for well qualified school teachers subject to snow days)
- One weekend commitment for camp open house and staff training overnight: June 25 & 26
- Camp is in session July 5 – August 26:
- Mon. – Wed., 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Thurs. 8:00 am – Fri. 3:00 pm, including overnight
- Instructors for the Advanced program will spend two weeks (Aug. 1 – 5, and Aug. 22 – 26) away on excursions, Mon 8:00 am – Fri 3:00 pm.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead groups in field study and activity in the Aquarium, on boat trips, during night hikes and on all day excursions.
- Responsible for the safety of all participants, interns and volunteers.
- Contribute to the development of weekly theme-based science projects and activities
- Implement objectives effectively with thought provoking, engaging, and creative teaching methods.
- Teach participants to observe, discover, and appreciate the natural world and Aquarium galleries and exhibits.
- Promote appropriate behavior and serve as a positive role model for participants and other staff.
- Present behind-the-scenes tours, Giant Ocean Tank talks or Live Animal presentations.
- Oversee all aspects of preparation and clean up of all program-related activities and equipment both on and offsite.
- Supervise other staff roles in supporting the program, including college interns and teenage Counselors in Training.
- Advanced instructor will lead groups on week- long offsite experiences, with a partnering institution like World Ocean School onboard a schooner, and/or a weeklong camping trip along the Maine Coast.
For more information, see https://neaq.applicantpro.com/jobs/348636.html