Outdoor Education Instructor
Covenant Heights Camp and Retreat Center
Location: Estes Park , Colorado
Category: Ecology, Education, Forestry, Recreation, Wildlife
Seasonal Full-Time Outdoor Education Instructors needed for our Spring (April-May) and Fall (August – November) Outdoor Education seasons!
During the spring and fall seasons, instructors deliver residential, 3-5 day Outdoor Science educational programs primarily serving 5th and 6th grades from regional elementary schools. All of our lessons are hands-on science and collaborative problem solving based with a focus on critical thinking, science, and environmental stewardship. Instructors are responsible for leading and educating a group of 12 – 18 students throughout the week, including facilitating large group activities, hosting meals, and leading night programs. Instructors will be directly responsible for ensuring that attending schools’ and campers’ educational outcomes are met. Instructors are supervised by the Outdoor Education Director. Join a staff that is committed to constantly improving our outstanding outdoor education programs.
1. Learn appropriate teaching techniques as they are modeled.
2. Participate in the training and orientation regarding the program planning, curriculum, teaching, and leadership.
3. Facilitate high quality, standards based outdoor education programs (day and evening) including: Geology, Water Ecology, Animal Biology, Forest Ecology, Survival, Orienteering, and many others. Contribute lessons that you can provide through personal experience and knowledge, along with our staff training and curriculum.
4. Participate in weekly staff meetings.
5. Facilitate Zip Line, High Ropes Course, and Low Ropes Course for students and adults.
6. Ensure safety in all activities and classes for the students and adults under your charge.
7. Facilitate special events and speakers as needed.
8. Work with teachers to provide the best possible experience for students.
9. Make sure all Covenant Heights policies and local laws are adhered to.
10. Perform other duties, as required by the Director.
• Minimum 21 years old
• A passion for working with students and making a difference through education!
• Ability to work irregular hours and days/nights in order to meet group needs
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field (preferred)
• Experience teaching and leading outdoor environmental education programs and/or classroom instruction (preferred)
• The ability to take initiative, work independently, and have a positive “can do” attitude
• Ability to live and work positively with other staff members
• Comfortable being 40 feet in the air on challenge course
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and hike up to 7 miles
• Current CPR and First Aid certification (preferred)
Compensation and Benefits:
• Live, work, explore and recreate in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado
• Dynamic work environment
• Innovative Company focused on improving outdoor education programming
• Competitive Salary • Professional development towards outdoor education leadership or classroom teaching goals
• Room and Board (All meals provided)
• Salary: $250/week
• Access to numerous pro-deals!