Job Title: Ranger/Outreach Coordinator
Company: Cambridge Water Department
Location: Cambridge, MA
Application Deadline: July 1, 2015
Apply to: email@example.com
Job Type: Internship
City of Cambridge Water Department
Fresh Pond Reservation – Ranger/Outreach Coordinator – One year position/Internship
The Watershed Management Division of the Cambridge Water Department is seeking an enthusiastic individual for the position of Ranger/Outreach Coordinator for Fresh Pond Reservation. Under the general direction of the Watershed Manager, the person in this position will be responsible for coordinating volunteer and outreach activities, enforcing regulations as well as assisting with daily activities at Fresh Pond Reservation. The Ranger/Outreach Coordinator will support the water department staff in the implementation of the Fresh Pond Master Plan. This position provides on-the-job training and experience in signage development, web content management, volunteer coordinating, event organizing and informational programming. The person in this position will learn about the conflicts and challenges of managing natural resources that are a part of the city’s largest open space as well as part of the drinking water supply system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement new and existing programs to support the Fresh Pond Master Plan while educating the public about the natural and cultural history of Fresh Pond and its importance as a drinking water supply
- Perform, implement and coordinate police, traffic control, animal control, and water department enforcement of city ordinances and water board regulations
- Assist in implementing and enforcing the “Fresh Pond Shared Use” recommendations
- Coordinate volunteer monitoring and maintenance programs at Fresh Pond Reservation
- Organize weekly weeding events May through October and larger events for invasive species management
- Organize annual Fresh Pond Day and other large events
- Develop and manage web content and other outreach materials
- Assist in implementing the signage program
- Administrate activities for the Fresh Pond Reservation Advisory Board
- Act as liaison to and support the Friends of Fresh Pond Reservation
- Perform other duties as they arise and/or assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in one or more of the following areas: environmental education, environmental/natural sciences, natural resources management, parks and recreation management, or law enforcement. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office and graphics programs, and be willing to learn new technologies. Ability to work well in a team and independently, strong writing and verbal communication skills a must, plus ability to manage user conflict. Must enjoy working with a diverse group of people. A valid Massachusetts driver’s License is required. Previous experience in a Ranger position a plus, but not required.
The Outreach Facilitator must be willing to work in all weather condition, some weekends and evenings.
Rate: $34,606 yearly salary, health insurance, 13 paid holidays
One year position/Internship
Hours Per Week: 40
Please send a cover letter and resume to David Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Cambridge Water Department, Attn: David Kaplan, 250 Fresh Pond Parkway, Cambridge, MA 02138 by July 1, 2015.