Job Title: Environmental Educator
Company: Taltree Arboretum & Gardens
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Application Deadline: 08/01/2015
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Paid Job
Taltree Arboretum & Gardens Foundation, Inc.
Title: Seasonal Environmental Educator
Status: Full Time, Seasonal (August 3, 2015-October 31, 2015)
Reports to: Director of Education
Position Overview: This position is responsible for educating the public about Taltree’s mission and teaching offsite educational programming.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead hikes, tours, offsite teaching events, and birthday parties at Taltree with docents as a collaboration.
- Recruit new docents and volunteers for the arboretum.
- Maintain the docent website.
- Schedule docents for hikes and tours.
- Assist with events at Taltree that have an education and volunteer/docent component.
- Create and inventory educational materials.
- Assist with and teach Taltree’s offsite Conservation-To-Go program.
- Help plan and teach classes.
- Attend offsite educational booths.
- Care for program animals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Biology, Earth Sciences, Geology, Environmental Sciences, Wildlife Biology, or Education.
- At least one year of experience with students and/or campers.
- Comfortable with being in an outdoors setting in all types of weather. The position involves hiking that could be over 2 miles in various weather conditions and over uneven terrain.
- CPR/AED/First AID Certification.
- Available to start by Monday, August 3, 2015.
- To be eligible for employment, all applicants must pass a criminal background check, driving records check, drug screen and be finger-printed.
- Experience working for a not-for-profit institution
- Volunteer management experience
Licenses and Certifications
- Must possess a valid State of Indiana Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to write, clean, and assemble; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Taltree is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against race, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference, disability, and will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.