The Museum Educator is responsible for developing and teaching exciting, high-quality educational programs according to the highest standard of the museum’s potential. This part-time, hourly, non-exempt position offers a unique opportunity to practice a wide range of skills by leading innovative, interdisciplinary activities, and connecting people of all ages with the museum’s collection. Educator is instrumental in strengthening visitors’ appreciation of Long Island’s maritime history with other diverse topics in culture, art, and science in meaningful ways. The museum delivers programs from preschoolers to seniors; majority events are family-friendly and are geared for children 5-12 years old. Weekdays with occasional weekend and evening work required; scheduling and number of hours worked per week can be seasonally flexible. Work during school break weeks required. Some traveling is required, as some museum programs take place off-site throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties, especially in the summer.
- Degree in education (or pursuing degree in education); Certification & Master’s preferred; OR Degree in Life Sciences/History/Museum Studies coupled with strong teaching background
- At least 2 years’ experience teaching in classroom and informal museum settings
- Demonstrated skill in creating age-appropriate materials for many learning styles, including knowledge of hands-on, inquiry-based learning theories
- Creative, motivated, and enthusiastic with strong can-do attitude; excellent public presentation skills; makes learning a fun adventure!
- Knowledge of Long Island’s maritime history/whale biology, or willingness to learn
- Reliable and punctual; able to multi-task and manage time effectively in a small but busy workplace
- Willingness to travel to offsite locations with personal car, as needed (we will reimburse mileage)
- Moderate lifting of portable teaching bins may be required
- Able to work independently or part of a close team
- Excellent verbal and writing skills; strong organizational skills
- Computer proficient (Microsoft Office; knowledge of Microsoft Publisher or other design programs desired)
For more information, see the attached job posting.