The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks a part-time summer intern to support its Project 2061 team. The position offers the opportunity for individuals with a deep understanding of foundational ideas in science and an interest in communicating those ideas to others to be part of a team effort to improve the science literacy of all at the national level. A statement of the ideals that guide the work of Project 2061 can be found in its seminal publication, Science for All Americans, online at www.project2061.aaas.org.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Assists in scoring student pre- and/or post-tests and classwork to help determine the effect of using an 8th grade curriculum unit on students’ understanding and ability to apply ideas about chemical reactions
- Under the direction of the Project 2061 research team, the intern will (a) learn to use NVivo qualitative data analysis software, (b) use NVivo to code student classwork and constructed-response items on pre- and post- tests using a validated scoring rubric, and (c) assist in analyzing and synthesizing data. The work is related to the Project’s long-term mission of improving K-12 science, mathematics, and technology education for all students
- Extensive university or college-level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree in the physical sciences including courses in chemistry, physics, and statistics
- Strong analytical, organizational, and writing skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience using contemporary software packages including electronic databases
- Prior teaching experience at the K-12 level is desirable but not required
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
For more information or to apply: https://www.irecruit-us.com/index.php?OrgID=I20090201&pg=initiallist#job18