The Science Writer/Editor will work on a team of health reporters, science writers and editors on the Communications department’s Content and Platform team, reporting to the Deputy Editor. The Writer/Editor will collaborate with the Development and Communications & Marketing departments to execute the most effective benefactor-facing and stewardship content, translating complex science for a lay audience. The Writer/Editor will also help to seek out and tell the dynamic stories of the Hutch across all of the department’s communications channels – including the public website, the quarterly glossy and digital magazine, the Intranet, the suite of digital newsletters and all social channels – as well as occasionally help with press releases for the Media Relations team and marketing materials. The Science Writer/Editor will collaborate with designers, producers and web developers to ensure alignment for content and execution, as well as across the department with the Communications and Marketing teams. The Science Writer/Editor must be an efficient, elegant writer with deep experience in science writing, be a stickler for style and spelling, and have a passion for discovering and telling the stories of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, particularly for the private donor audience.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate as part of a proactive team of writer/editors who are responsible for the foundational content for all publishing channels as well as for the Communications and Marketing teams.
- Develop, write and edit compelling copy, particularly proposals for Fred Hutch initiatives and special research projects to be presented to major gift benefactors and family foundations; benefactor-specific progress reports; and other benefactor-focused communications.
- Design and lay out proposals, progress reports and other materials.
- Execute on an integrated content strategy that elevates and illuminates Fred Hutch’s stories.
- Produce and edit web pages.
- Maintain content and style guidelines.
- Develop collaborative relationships across Fred Hutch, including the scientific divisions, Development and other Administrative functions.
- Stay current on research and health science relevant to Fred Hutch.
- Set the bar for excellent client/customer service.
Summary of Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of formal scientific writing experience preferred or an advanced degree in a biomedical-related field with a demonstrable ability to write about science for a variety of audiences.
- Compelling portfolio of published work.
- Experience developing fundraising communications and/or working with private benefactors strongly preferred.
- Experience collaborating in a multifunctional organization and ability to work effectively on concurrent, diverse projects while maintaining an extremely high level of attention to detail.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Scientific expertise and proven ability to translate science into compelling stories for a lay audience, including financial supporters.
- Understanding of and experience with fundraising, especially in a non-profit research or health sciences environment.
- Expertise in reporting, writing and editing in a fast-paced digital environment.
- A passion for storytelling in all formats.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
NOTE: Please include a cover letter and at least three writing samples with your submission.
For more information or to apply, see the full job posting.