Position Title: Education Manager
Classification: Salaried; Exempt
Reports to: Program Director
Direct Reports: Educational Staff
ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: Nature’s Academy is a nonprofit educational organization that seeks to enhance science literacy and foster environmental stewardship. We have decades of experience teaching environmental conservation in Florida across a variety of disciplines, including ecology, marine science, botany, chemistry and physics. Our education programs focus on conservation science and cater to 5,000 participants annually from school and group organizations. Participants are immersed in a variety of activities, such as snorkeling, kayaking, canoeing, guided nature walks and hands-on discovery at parks and science facilities throughout the state. We are seeking committed, enthusiastic, mission-driven team members to participate in the expansion of our organization while maintaining programmatic excellence.
POSITION PURPOSE: The Education Manager is responsible for leading the education team in developing and implementing a dynamic set of outdoor, experiential education programs designed to convey science and conservation principles to K-12 youth. The Education Manager will fully master the academic content of programs, follow established processes while exercising sound judgment in organizing program logistics, train and lead education staff in program execution, manage preparatory and follow-up processes associated with our innovative Science Literacy Project, manage and maintain client relationships, assist with marketing (including social media), and support the strategic growth goals of Nature’s Academy.
The Education Manager must work during all scheduled field trip programs, some of which extend into evenings and/or weekends. Reliable transportation is required to get to and from all Nature’s Academy sites. Due to the nature of this position’s work with children, candidates will be subject to a criminal background check before hire.
- Thoroughly master academic content and curriculum guidelines; use effective, tested methods to communicate core science concepts and conservation messages to K-12 students; and train and oversee education staff in teaching hands-on, outdoor environmental science programs.
- Assume primary responsibility for full life cycle of Nature’s Academy’s Science Literacy Project, including providing teacher training, overseeing education program data entry and tracking associated with citizen science database, follow-up on final conservation projects, and assisting with metrics reporting.
- Develop lesson plans following curriculum guidelines to ensure programmatic consistency among education staff.
- Manage customer relationships including scheduling, processing and follow-up on necessary forms and required paperwork.
- Maintain organized files and data records associated with education programs and assist with compiling board reports, grant applications and other metrics to showcase the work of the organization
- Assist with marketing programs as needed, including identifying potential partnerships and clients, and gathering content in support of social media, newsletter and other media outreach.
- Assume primary responsibility for education program supply and upkeep and assist with general maintenance as needed.
Education and Experience
- BA or BS in marine science, education, or related field (biology, ecology, environmental science, etc.) required. MA or MS preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
- Three years of experience in project/program management and leading staff strongly preferred.
- Experience with citizen science research preferred.
- Experience with operations of a science center, small business and/or eco-tourism/naturalist guide-service preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Passion for nature, conservation, positive societal change and/or youth education and inspiration.
- Integrity, commitment to organizational excellence, and a mature, balanced approach to team participation.
- Classroom management and teaching skills, including experience working with children and adapting programs to various ages.
- Seasoned judgment in the face of change; ability to exhibit calm and authority under pressure.
- Capable of working long-hours outdoors in typical and coastal Florida weather (hot and humid).
- Determination to maintain a positive, solution-oriented, attitude as challenges arise, such as inclement weather conditions.
- Customer service-oriented, including the ability to continuously convey positivity and politeness toward clients over the phone and in person.
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal skills.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification; Lifeguard certification a plus.
- Able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of standard office information technology applications including Microsoft Office, Google applications, Facebook, social media sites and familiarity with database management.
Salary commensurate with qualifications.
How to Apply
Position will remain open until filled. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please email a cover letter with salary expectations, approximate date available to start and resume or CV electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: ‘Education Manager Position.’ Applications received by June 1, 2015, will be considered; however, applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.