Job Title: Conservation Policy Intern
Company: Ducks Unlimited
Location: Bismarck, ND
Ducks Unlimited’s (DU) Great Plains Regional office in Bismarck, North Dakota, is seeking to hire a highly-qualified individual for a Conservation Policy Internship. This 12-month position will assist DU’s professional staff in researching and promoting public policy initiatives affecting wetlands, waterfowl and other habitat conservation issues. The successful candidate will gain valuable experience and knowledge working as part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers and government affairs personnel on a variety of state and national policy issues. Applicants should be highly-motivated individuals that possess excellent communication skills, strong analytical abilities, computer knowledge, and must be able to work independently or as part of a team with minimal supervision. Knowledge of wildlife conservation, wetlands, agriculture and water policies is highly desired.
- Provide advocacy support for state and federal conservation programs and policies;
- Assist DU’s staff in developing technical reports, handouts, press releases and other legislative briefings;
- Provide outreach, communications and other social media support;
- Help coordinate field tours and events with conservation partners, media and legislative leaders and their staff;
- Work closely with agency and non-governmental partners to promote conservation programs and wildlife-friendly policies on private and public lands;
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of waterfowl and wetland ecology, management and conservation;
- Knowledge of federal Farm Bill, Department of Interior and other state conservation programs;
- Proficient using Microsoft Office and other web-based software;
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and prioritize work activities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to prepare and present information on conservation programs and policies to peers, lay audiences and elected officials;
- Possess strong communications skills with private landowners, partners, legislative staff and other wildlife professionals;
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must possess or be pursuing a 4-year degree in wildlife management, environmental policy, political science or other closely related natural resource fields;
- Any combination of education, experience and training that enables the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Salary & Employment Location:
Salary for Ducks Unlimited interns is $1,800 per month. The successful candidate may be also able to receive additional internship credit through their college or university, if available. This position reports to the Government Affairs Representative and will be located in DU’s Great Plains Regional Office in Bismarck, North Dakota.
Fill out the application forms provided at www.ducks.org/jobs; attach a cover letter, resume, and three references with daytime telephone numbers; and submit by April 15, 2015. For more information regarding this position, please contact Eric Lindstrom, Government Affairs Representative, at (701) 355-3503 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUCKS UNLIMITED, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Ducks Unlimited, Inc. to afford equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, military status, disability, age, or genetic information except where age or gender is a bona fide occupational qualification as allowed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.