The Northwest School is a college-preparatory, co-educational independent school near the heart of downtown Seattle. We offer a rich and challenging program to roughly 500 students in grades 6 through 12, including 80 international students, many of whom live in our campus dormitory. The Northwest School is committed to a diverse workplace and actively encourages applicants with a commitment to issues of diversity and social justice.
The Northwest School seeks a half time Upper School Biology Teacher for the 2015-2016 school year. This is a one year only position.
The Biology course, which has a regular 90-minute lab period, includes cell biology, human anatomy and physiology, embryology and reproduction, evolution, genetics, and ecology. Each section will include a number (4 or 5) of English Language Learners, most of whom will be in their second year at Northwest School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching Upper School grade Biology
- Coordinating curricula with one other Biology teacher and grade level teachers
- Active participation on faculty team
- Serving as an academic advisor to a group of students
- Assisting and leading various activities in the student life of the school
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of the School
- A Bachelor’s degree in Science
- Ability to work with students of various cultural backgrounds
- Interest in working in a diverse learning community, including English Language Learners
- Ability to develop and coordinate Science curricula in a logical and sequential manner
- Ability to teach using a wide range of methods, especially those that include laboratory-based science activities
- Ability to teach to a variety of learning styles
- Ability to assess student progress through a variety of assessment instruments
- Ability to establish an effective learning environment and use a wide range of methods
- Ability to work both independently and as a productive member of a team of highly motivated, enthusiastic teachers
- Flexibility, passion, sense of humor, creativity, and teamwork
- Commitment to the school’s mission, values, and philosophy, especially related to diversity and the environment.
- Advanced degree in Science
- Experience with team teaching and interdisciplinary work
- Experience teaching English Language Learners
- Experience working in upper schools and teaching adolescents
- Experience with and interest in incorporating technology in the Science classroom
- Current WA State teaching certificate preferred
Salary is highly competitive with top independent schools in the region and commensurate with experience. This is a .50 FTE position and is not eligible for school health and welfare benefits, but all faculty receive generous time off, lunch, access to the on-site fitness facility, a commitment to professional development, and a unique urban location as a benefit of working at The Northwest School.
Candidates must submit a statement of teaching philosophy, resume, and cover letter.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that values workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or marital status.