Job Title: Educator and Operations Assistant
Company: Roundhouse Aquarium
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Apply to: email@example.com
Job Type: Paid Job
Part-Time Position Available at the Roundhouse Aquarium:
Educator & Operations Assistant
Job Description: This staff member will assist the full-time staff with education (on-site and outreach) classes and with aquarist and operation duties during the week.
- Assisting full-time staff in conducting informal Marine Science Education programs for school groups, scout troops, birthdays, summer camp, etc.
- Setting up and breaking down for classes
- Instructing students from pre-k-12th grade in the aquarium, outside at beach, and other offsite locations
- Maintaining teaching materials
- Assisting with curriculum development
- Tank care and maintenance – conducting water changes, cleaning, doing algae scrubs, assisting with repairs, etc
- Conducting animal care, animal food prep, and feeding
- Managing volunteers
- Interacting with guests and aquarium visitors during public hours
– All under direction of Co-Directors
Tuesday – will vary, typically between 7am-4pm: Outreach Education
Wednesday – Friday 8:45am-12:15pm: On-site Education (may vary depending on scheduled classes)
Monday – Friday 4:30pm-sunset (approximately 8pm): Operations Assistant – managing and closing the Aquarium, managing the volunteers, and aquarist work.
*On-call for occasional other days/times as needed to cover vacations, staff illness, overbooking, etc.
Salary: Starting at $12 per hour
Requirements: Applicants should have a genuine interest in the environment, the ocean, and marine life, and the desire to share and teach others about these topics. A bachelor’s degree in marine biology, zoology, environmental science, education, or a related field preferred. Experience with children and teaching. Knowledge and experience with local marine life. Aquarist and tank experience a plus. Must be able to interact wonderfully with kids of all ages, deal sensitively with discipline, and provide effective techniques in the art of teaching. Must be able to conduct and teach marine science classes on and off site to students ranging from pre-K-12th grade. Should be very good at problem solving, organized, out-going, and have lots of fun with kids and staff, as well as a positive attitude! Must work well with others in a small team atmosphere, as well as independently. Must have reliable transportation to outreach classes within 40 mile range of the Roundhouse. Must have a good driving record. Must be comfortable working with the general public, making public announcements & interacting with kids and visitors of all ages. Must be comfortable handling animals (living and dead). Must be in good physical condition – able to lift 50 lbs.
Minimum age: 18
Start Date: Training will begin ASAP
Send resume with cover letter ASAP to: Valerie Hill & Eric Martin
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Call 310-379-8117 or visit: www.roundhouseaquarium.org